Monday, March 9, 2009

New Mommy Time

"Mom, I don't like you."
"You want a new Mommy?"
"Uh-huh," Keira looks at me, tilting her head to the side, all sparkly-eyed.
"Ok, go get your shoes on and you can go outside and look for one."
"Yeah, ok, I will go and see my little Brianna and she can be my new mommy."

"Oh, really? She's not big enough to be your mommy. Why don't you like your mommy now?"
"Uh, Kainoa likes you!" jumping up and down and trying to cheer me up, but I was so amused, I had to stress to keep a somber face.

A few minutes later, she came out of her room with her ballet slippers, half-eaten chocolate chip cookie in hand, "Okay, I'm ready." We took a good-bye picture.
"You're going by yourself, you know. I can't help you."
"It's okay."
"Where are you going to look?"
"Just...outside, and I will go look."
"Okay, here you go!" I held the front door open speculating how long she'd last in 40 degree weather, no jacket, and her dress-up summer "princess" (dress), as she calls them.
"Bye!"

I closed the dooor and looked through the peep-hole, but my hopeful spring wreath I hung last week blocked my view. I'll just wait. Twenty seconds later, I heard her talking outside the door. I opened it.

"But--I can't go, I don't know where she is."
"Do you want to come back inside?
"Uh, yeah, I need a jacket. Can you come with me and look?"
"You want me to help you find your new mommy?"
"Uh, yeah, let's go."
"Mommy stays here," I said as she came back inside. "Keira, I'm sad that you don't want me as a mommy anymore."

"But, Kainoa wants you! And Dada! And I will have another one!"

"You don't want me as your Mommy anymore?" Finally, I think she caught on that my feelings were a little hurt (though they really weren't).

"But--I like you as my Mommy! I do!" She gave me a hug...and I actually felt relieved, despite I was just "playing" sad.

We watched some TV. About 5 minutes later, she says, "I want a new Mommy."

10 comments:

  1. That's to funny! I'm pretty sure she didn't understand what she was saying. You're Nancey! Everyone wants you for a mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids really say the darnest things. That kinda cute and sad all at the same time. I LOVE the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is okay sometime I want a new kid. Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. she is SUCH a funny girl!! I think you handled it well!! I can picture it all :) lol! and those pictures are SO cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is SO adorable. The goodbye picture made me laugh out loud. How happy does she look to be off to her adventure?! Ha!
    She could never find a better mommy, though. She knows it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny! I like the pictures, too. You are the cutest pregnant lady ever. You're so understanding, I would probably have demanded that my kid TAKE IT BACK, and give em' no mercy til they told me I was the best mommy in the whole wide world. j/k But really I might have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancey, you are so cute! I love your blog and all these great stores and clothes. Your belly looks beautiful.. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so precious...and I love the photos--you're a gorgeous mama!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, too funny!! I think we've all had those "I want a new mommy" moments! Great story, and it's even better that you wrote it down, because these are the things we'll cherish when they are older and our memories are shot!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails