Monday, June 3, 2013

Baby Boy Ware

My little sis just gave birth to her first baby, Ezra.  Here are some things I made for him...

My sis chose the fabrics for all of these projects.  It was refreshing to work with skulls and tattoo fabrics--a change from the usual florals and baby blues that baby stuff is usually made of.

Skulls Quilt
DSC_0028


DSC_0027

The graphics fabrics were both by Michael Miller via fabric.com.
DSC_0041 (2)
 
DSC_0036
a little wave design
I used some awesome gray chambray for the backing and piecing. It was the first time I'd used chambray or apparel weight on a quilt. There was some expected stretching where quilting weights are more stiff, which showed up on my quilt back, but it was no biggie to fix later.
DSC_0035

 
This was the first time I tried a rollover binding (is that what it's called?) where you roll the backing fabric over the quilt top and topstitch. A HUGE timesaver. I was pleased with the look, although I did notice some waving in the quilt that I think is characteristic of this kind of binding. Again, no biggie.
DSC_0047

 
Reversible Car Seat Canopy
Made of Alexander Henry Zen Charmer fabric (blue) and Michael Miller Knitty Gritty Skull in mud.
DSC_0006

DSC_0005

Nursing Cover
DSC_0004

Minkee Blankie
The tattoo fabric is Alexander Henry tattoo fabric. Becky's husband runs his own tattoo shop in Hawaii.
DSC_0002

DSC_0001

I found the photo below in my Flickr archives. My sister is holding a bag I had ordered off ebay made of the same Alexander Henry tattoo fabric. It was a miracle that we found enough to make the blanket 7 years later, as it has been discontinued for years.  That's me, my sis, and our brother back in July 2006...I'll try and get some baby photos up on here of little Ezra...he's a dream!
SUC50383

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails